Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions for the new year

Happy new year everyone. 2008 passed by so quickly it is very hard to believe that 2009 is here already. I don't normally make new years resolutions but this year I have been thinking very seriously about the shape that the year ahead might take and so thought I might jot a couple of goals down. I wanted to avoid having resolutions that were centred around selfish desires, so I'm not going to make resolutions about getting fit or earning my first million, hehe. I hope they also help to shape my Triple Bottom Line.

They are a work in progress and probably need some refining. If I was taking the advice that I give to my students I'd make sure that they were SMART goals as well.

1. I'm going be more generous with my time. I want to invest more in my relationships, spend more quality time with my husband, friends and family. I also want to return to some volunteer work.

2. I'm to be more generous with my money and material goods that I have. What is the point of having stuff and money if you don't share it around.

3. I'm going to use the car less, and I would like to go to one car sometime this year. This would save money, which I could dedicate to other things and it would be good for the environment.

4. I'm going to use less paper. Schools must be the worst of waste in this area. I'm going to to do my bit, hopefully all of the little things will add up (I will not print off emails unless it is compulsory, I'm going to make greater use of the blogs and wikis I've set up, no excessive photocopying)

5. I'm going to pray for my world. I spend a lot of time talking about social justice issues and I will continue to do so, but I forget that I should be praying too. I don't have any answers for the conflict, tensions and problems of this world but I can commit these thing to God.

Are you making any resolutions this year?

Photo credit: koshyk

No comments:

Post a Comment